- Orchid Show
April 2012 Board of Director Minutes
New Hampshire Orchid Society
Board of Directors Meeting
April 14 2012
Present: President Mike Mattozzi, Treasurer Chuck Crisler, Secretary Adrienne Giovino, Trustees Lee Brockmann, Daryl Yerdon, Jen Marrs and Norm Selander-Carrier
Committee Chairs: Jean Hallstone
Absent: Past-President Steve Tacopina, Vice President George Crozer
Opening: Mike called the meeting to order at 10:08 AM.
Chuck moved to approve the minutes of the March 2012 meeting. Lee seconded; the motion carried.
- Reimbursement for away shows – Mike would like to reimburse people for gas. GSA rate is currently 51¢/mile. Chuck made a motion to amend the travel and reimbursement policy to reimburse those making a significant contribution for setup and breakdown at other, non-meeting shows or an event where NHOS is represented for distances greater than 50 miles. This will be coordinated with the show captain prior to the event with BoD approval. Norm seconded. The motion was approved.
- With the advice and consent of the board, Mike appointed Jean Hallstone as 2013 Show Chair.
- Mike negotiated a new two-year contract with the Radisson without any increase in rent. However, the Friday night preview and dessert party will be changed to a dinner on Friday or Saturday night with a reception of fresh fruit, cheese and crackers with a cost of approximately $35. Also, the hotel will have a $89/night room rate. Norm moved to accept the contract. Chuck seconded. The motion was approved.
- IPA meeting food costs – Chuck reported that the society spent $550 for food plus the approximately $350 reimbursed by the IPA for the 35 non-NHOS member attendees last September. Chuck made a motion to budget $400 for food and to increase the $10 fee for non-members to $15. Norm seconded. The motion was approved.
- No report as George was absent.
- Expense manifest was $3741.78. Norm made a motion to accept. Jen seconded. The motion passed.
- Chuck would like the conservation fund to have a separate account in QuickBooks so the society can keep track of it at all times and have its funds roll over to the next year. Merging the society’s conservation fund with the Ovid and Laura Slavin Conservation Fund is possible.
- Nothing to report
AOS and Affiliated Society Representative:
Membership: Lee reported that the society has 219 memberships (with 80 spouses, 45 non-renewals) and 46 who receive the newsletter by USPS. 23 emails were not deliverable.
Show: Jen reported that the society did very well at the Nutmeg State Show: she won a rosette for Best Grown Lights/Windowsill for her Phal. Leopard Prince, Jack Mulder won the Lycaste rosette for his Maxillaria tenuifolia and Janet and Steve Smyrychynski won a crystal trophy for Best Grown Hobbyist Plant for their Lc. Fire Dance ‘Patricia’.
The society received an invitation to the Berkshire College Show in October (on our meeting day). It is not a AOS event. The society will not participate this year.
The Radisson has addressed the issue of broken Sky Spider Pottery.
Show Table Committee:
New England Orchid Shows:
Risk Management Committee:
Conservation and Education Committee: Mike reported for Jean Stefanik that NHOS brought 35 plants to Strawbery Banke, repotted them into terracotta pots with copper labels that say “Gift of the New Hampshire Orchid Society.” Jean is working with the Portsmouth Garden Club, who gave us a $500 grant, on a permanent sign for the greenhouse that states the orchids were donated and cared for by NHOS.
Website Steering Committee:
Chuck moved to adjourn and Daryl seconded. The motion carried and the meeting was adjourned at 11:55 AM.